As part of our expansion plans we have an exciting opportunity for an ambitious and experienced Medicinal Chemist. In the role of Team Leader Medicinal Chemistry you will play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities in the discovery and development of novel small molecule drug candidates in the field of oncology.
You will lead your local team and interact at a global level on innovative projects with your colleagues from AstraZeneca in the US, UK and Sweden.
Acerta Pharma is a haematological oncology focused R&D centre of AstraZeneca located in Oss, the Netherlands. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working globally within AstraZeneca. We work together as one team across sites to reach our goal of being at the forefront of developing the next generation of haematological cancer therapies.
Team Leader Medicinal Chemistry (PhD)
As our new Team Leader Medicinal Chemistry, you will be in the lead of one or more innovative drug discovery projects, covering modalities ranging from small to medium sized molecules. You will give strategic direction to these projects and you will work together and align with your colleagues from AstraZeneca. Based on your scientific experience and leadership skills you will serve as a coach for your team and at the same time be a strong advisor at senior management level.
What will you be doing?
- You will lead a team of chemists/medicinal chemists. You will be coaching, motivating and developing your team both at a scientific and a personal development level.
- You will be responsible for the implementation and delivery of project key milestones in the whole range of drug discovery phases. Together with your team, this will include the application of drug design and medicinal chemistry principles, implementation of state-of-the-art computational chemistry methodologies, execution of high quality organic synthetic chemistry.
- Based on your experience and depending on the status of your projects you will align and team up with other discipline leads like DMPK, Safety, Pharmaceutical Sciences.
- You will be a strong advocate for your projects towards senior management, being a good communicator and presenter and aligning with key stakeholders across the organization.
What do you bring?
- You hold a PhD in Chemistry/Medicinal Chemistry or a related field with a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in the pharmaceutical industry (must have) with proven capability to solve challenging problems within drug discovery.
- You have a strong track record in driving drug discovery projects through key milestones, ranging from hit finding through identification of preclinical candidates (must have).
- You’re able to provide good stakeholder management with strong leadership, communication and presentation skills.
- You have a track record of scientific visibility through publications, patents and presentations at conferences.
What do we offer you?
- A dynamic, innovative and growing international working environment where you will be part of the discovery and development of new medicines that can make a difference in patient’s lives.
- The possibility to be part of the AstraZeneca drug discovery process together with our colleagues in the US, UK and Sweden.
- The opportunity to work in a small, close-knit team, with a good working atmosphere.
- The opportunity to further develop yourself, e.g. to a position with even more responsibility.
- Good salary and good secondary benefits including 8% holiday allowance, 25 holidays on a full-time basis. Collective pension with a fixed percentage personal contribution, bonus scheme. Vitality of our colleagues is important to us, which is why you can exercise at a discount or make use of our bicycle plan.
For candidates from abroad we offer a good relocation package (including support for applying for the 30% tax ruling).
For our international colleagues we offer an expat program, including a language course and to learn more about the Dutch culture.
At our international headquarters in Oss, the Netherlands, we are working to develop new treatment options for patients with specific types of blood cancer. Together with our colleagues of AstraZeneca in San Francisco, Boston and Cambridge (UK) we are committed to innovative drug discovery and development, especially in the field of haematological oncology.
Acerta has received approval from both the US (FDA) and the European Regulator (EMA) for its small molecule BTK inhibitor for treatment of patients with chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL). In addition, AstraZeneca and Acerta Pharma are collaborating on a large number of other innovative medicines to treat haematological malignant diseases.
How to apply:
Go to the vacancy
We would like to receive your English CV. For this, go to the apply button at the bottom of this vacancy. You can upload your CV and cover letter at the bottom of the second page.
If you have any questions about this vacancy, our Recruitment team (Karin Raadschelders, Caroline van Oppen, Maaike Willems) can be reached via email@example.com or on +31(0)85 – 047 0244.